Why is leadership important?
- Be careful not to confuse management and leadership. They are different roles with different focuses.
- Leadership is the #2 question asked in job interviews. It's important to your employer because it shows that you’re committed, looking to advance within the company and wanting more than just a paycheck.
- You can showcase leadership experiences outside of your job, e.g. when did you step in while on jury duty, in non-profit work, with your family, in your neighborhood, etc.
- In an interview, you might be asked:
- “When have you delegated?”
- “Was there a time you saw a leadership gap and stepped in?”
- “Tell me about a time you were a leader…”